Lawyer for Intoxication Manslaughter in Texas
Get Justice with Laredo Intoxication Manslaughter Attorney Javier Guzman
Intoxication manslaughter is the most serious DWI charge that a person can face in the lone star state. Charges for intoxication manslaughter in Texas carry serious, life-altering penalties, and are prosecuted zealously by Texas courts, with little to no room for leniency, complexity, or compassion.
Serious cases, like these, require serious attorneys. Javier Guzman is an experienced and relentless trial attorney, a compassionate servant of justice, and the only ACS-CHAL Forensic Lawyer-Scientist in Laredo, Texas. He knows the law and the science behind DWI, which means he knows when the police have made a mistake. You would be surprised at how often mistakes are made by the police in DWI cases — and how often they’re used to put people away.
If you or a loved one has been charged with intoxication manslaughter, you don’t need just any DWI attorney, you need a DWI attorney who has experience going to court and winning cases, like Javier Guzman.
What is intoxication manslaughter in Texas?
Texas Penal Code § 49.08 lays out intoxication manslaughter thusly: a person commits an offense if they…
- operate a motor vehicle in a public place, operate an aircraft, a watercraft, or an amusement ride, or assemble a mobile amusement ride; and
- are intoxicated and by reason of that intoxication cause the death of another by accident or mistake.
Essentially, intoxication manslaughter is the operation of a vehicle while intoxicated that causes the death of another person.
Regardless of whether it is your first offense or your 2nd DWI in Texas, intoxication manslaughter punishments are uniformly steep. You can’t expect any leniency from the prosecution, no matter the circumstances. This is why it is essential to hire a lawyer who can fight for you in a court of law, to ensure that your rights are protected from overzealous prosecution.
What are the elements of intoxication manslaughter in Texas?
In order to convict someone of intoxication manslaughter, the prosecution must prove that:
- The defendant was operating the vehicle. This is the easiest element for the prosecution to prove. The vehicle can be a boat, a plane, or even a carnival ride.
- The defendant was voluntarily intoxicated. They must prove that the defendant knowingly or intentionally became intoxicated. This does not apply to getting behind the wheel when you think you’re good to drive after a few beers, but rather if you were given a drug that resulted in your intoxication unknowingly.
- The defendant caused the death of another. They must prove that the defendant’s intoxication directly caused the death of another in order to charge them with intoxication manslaughter. An intoxicated driver involved in a crash that was caused by another driver or environmental factor might still be charged with DWI, but likely not intoxication manslaughter.
Because you only get one shot at freedom, you need to hire the best DWI lawyer Laredo has to offer. It is up to your attorney to disprove these elements and secure your freedom, because if you are convicted of intoxication manslaughter, the most severe type of felony DWI in Texas, there aren’t often second chances.
What is the average sentence for intoxication manslaughter in Texas?
Intoxication manslaughter Texas sentences are always long. If you are convicted you will be spending at least two years in prison, but a longer sentence is much more likely. Intoxication manslaughter punishments include:
- 2 – 20 years in prison
- A $10,000 fine
- 240 – 1,040 hours of community service
These punishments are pretty steep. You may be wondering “What if I’ve got a clean record? What is the penalty for first-time intoxication manslaughter?” First-time intoxication manslaughter will incur the same severe penalties and, while you might be looking at less time in prison, you’ll still be looking at prison time — not to mention being brought back into the world afterward as a felon, making your life much more difficult.
If you want to keep your freedom, your reputation, and your livelihood, contact Javier Guzman from Guzman Law Firm straight away. There’s no time to lose.
Javier Guzman offers relentless defense for intoxication manslaughter in Texas
If you’ve been arrested for intoxicationarrestedconvicted of intoxication manslaughter in Texas, you need to hire the best DWI lawyer in Texas that you can find to begin building your defense. You can be positive that the prosecution is building its case against you — it’s time to fight back before it’s too late.
Javier Guzman is a trial-tested DWI lawyer in Laredo, who fights ceaselessly and argues compassionately for his clients. Javier will stand by your side and see your case through to the end, fighting for your rights instead of pleading down.
Call Guzman Law Firm today at (956) 333-3977 or contact us online for a free consultation.